Pages

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Are squirrels rare in Ireland??

I was walking through the park today and this rather non-crazy looking woman stopped me, causing me take out my headphones, and pointed out a gray squirrel. WTF?? Don't get me wrong, I'm an animal lover. Had she pointed out a rare bird or small mammal (it was the center of Dublin after all) I would have been appreciative of this. But a gray squirrel?? Ever since the summer we were camping on the Outer Banks and squirrels chewed through our CAMPER to get to our Oreo cookies, I've considered them rodents. That's right, rats with bushy tales. And I don't want to relive the horror of the demonic squirrel that used to bury breadsticks in my flower pots at my apartment in Baltimore. The woman upstairs was TERRIFIED of this squirrel. Today, I feigned interest in the stupid squirrel and carried on my merry way, but it was all I could do to not say to her, 'Seriously? That's why you stopped me?? Show me a Delmarva Fox Squirrel THEN I'll get excited!'

I'm a biology snob. 

4 comments:

  1. I think the gray squirrel is not native to the UK or Ireland. It's displaced the red squirrel in many areas. But if she knew that, you'd have think she'd have said so and be more likely to point out a red squirrel to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That explains why my husband also gets excited about squirrels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My family gets that way about deer.
    OOOOHHHHH. Look!! A deer!!
    Really? Here in the woods or Northern Michigan?
    You. Don't. Say.
    Tell me when you STOP seeing deer. Now THAT would be news.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow- my husband was all excited about a squirrel the other day! I was also like, wtf?!

    ReplyDelete