Pages

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

This shopping trip was pants!

At the risk of sounding like an old fuddy duddy again, today I'm going to rant about casual pants (or trousers if the word 'pants' makes you giggle). I have two pair of jeans that I alternate between, but I'm looking for something in the corduroy or chino variety. You know, something like this from Ann Taylor Loft. Oh yeah, I went there!

Basically, the rant is that they don't exist here. This is not a fashion statement the Irish want to make. There are loads of nice work pants, but my choices for non-denim casual pants are leggings and track suit bottoms. And everything is skinny: skinny blue jeans, skinny black jeans, leggings, jeggings. Well, everything's skinny except my legs. I had to purchase my last pair of jeans in the US - the land of fat thighs and skinny lattes. I'm actually not opposed to wearing leggings, in fact, I love the pair I have, but they're not very warm. Maybe if I paired them with some Uggs.... No, the thing about leggings is, contrary to the popular belief of those in North Dublin, you aren't supposed to wear them with short tops. They're supposed to be worn with tunics and long sweaters. Okay, I'll look for a new tunic to wear with some leggings. Dear shopkeepers: 'Open' is not a size. Why are you too lazy to put a size on your garment which clearly is not one size fits all? Oh, and a sweater who has a color described as 'ketchup' actually becomes less attractive to me based on that description.

Don't get me wrong...I actually like Irish style and fashion - dressing in layers, tights, warm hats and gloves. Just not right now. Not when I need to find casual pants.

9 comments:

  1. Good luck with the pants hunt. If you need me to pick some up for you, let me know. Also, I have a pair of cordos that I would wear often until my husband, the Irish Fashionista, told me that cordos were so passe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, but unfortunately I need to try things on. I bet your husband also has a sweater (that he calls a jumper) in 'mustard'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds really frustrating. I'm too much of a wimp to shop for clothes here :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree on the leggings and short tops. It looks like they have forgotten to wear pants (trousers). What is that about??
    GAP accommodate my needs in the UK for casual chino style duds. I'll send you some if you want!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was also going to suggest the GAP in Arnotts. Also Penny's actually has non-skinny jeans in black for super cheap of course. And you should definitely check out Zara and Warehouse.

    Wouldn't it be great to just zip on down to Target and pick up a pair?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the tips everyone! Well, I kind of boycott the GAP in both the UK and Ireland. I just have a hard time paying 75 euro for a sweater that costs $35. But, I may have to suck it up and check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very true! They pair tights with everything here (Manchester) as well, and the people who wear them cuts across age and body type. I wince everytime I see someone in a top that gives too much way to the tights. :) It really gives a pant-less illusion.
    p.s., TRUE THAT about the price point diffs between GAP stuff here versus the US!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great post...you are right I've never seen those corduroy pants here...or much of anything Ann Taylor-y, J. Crewish etc. And never thought I'd say it but i miss it!! I blogged about it as well...http://marriedanirishfarmer.com/?p=34 with a different spin. Love your blog. Imen M

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for stopping by! I'll have to check out your blog!

    ReplyDelete