Pages

Sunday, December 13, 2009

A Christmas Meme!

I saw this posted on Live Journal and I thought I'd use it for my blog.

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? I will always try to wrap a present because I love wrapping gifts, but sometimes it's just too awkward and needs to go in a bag.

2. Real tree or Artificial? I'm definitely a real tree kinda gal, but I won't forget that time I walked into my parents house commented on the beautiful tree, asked if they got it from our usual place up the road, and was told it was artificial. I was gutted! Matching the branches up to the right hole isn't quite the same as having dad lying under the tree adjusting the trunk while we all stand around and tell him which direction it's leaning to now.

3. When do you put up the tree? We don't have a tree this year because our apartment is too small, but I would normally put one up in early-mid December.

4.When do you take the tree down? No specific day, usually a few days after the New Year or whenever I get the chance.

5. Do you like egg nog? Gross, no.

6. Favorite gift received as a child? Well, I wasn't a child, but my favorite gift I received was a ladder. It was the Christmas after I moved into my house and I was excited to paint! I also recall high-fiving my brother-in-law the year we got wet/dry vacs!

7. Hardest person to buy for? My middle nephew. The older nephew? Fine. The younger nephew? Easy. My new niece and nephew? Piece of cake and yay for finally getting to buy for a girl! The middle nephew? Freakin' impossible!!!

8. Easiest person to buy for? Wes is pretty easy to buy for (if he doesn't buy it for himself first!) and my mom is pretty easy too.

9. Do you have a nativity scene? Yes. My aunt gave us a wooden one for a wedding gift and it looks perfect on our mantle.

10. Mail or email Christmas cards? As expensive as it is to mail them, I can't imagine emailing Christmas cards.

11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? There's nothing that sticks out as glaringly bad. Maybe the dorky socks my mom always gave us because when she gave us money or a gift card she wanted it to be in a box for us to open and it always seemed like dorky socks were included in that box.

12. Favorite Christmas Movie? Not sure. I know it's definitely not White Christmas which I finally watched for the first time a few years ago and feel it has nothing to do about Christmas and more about winter. And I've never seen It's a Wonderful Life or Miracle on 34th Street which horrified some people at our Secret Santa party last weekend. I had to Google 'Christmas Movies' and was reminded of The Best Christmas Pageant Ever. I enjoyed it watching the snotty brats really bring it together for a heart-wrenching ending.

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? Normally I wouldn't start until December, but when you have to ship to the US you have to be a bit more proactive.

14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? Probably one I've received in a 'White Elephant' type gift exchange.

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Chocolate chip cookies with red and green M&Ms.

16. Lights on the tree? Of course! I'm not fussed about colored or white, but I definitely prefer the little lights to the large retro looking ones.

17. Favorite Christmas song? There is no way I can pick a favorite song, I love them all! However, I will say that I prefer the classics and hymns. The only newer Christmas song I like is Mariah Carey's version of All I Want for Christmas is You. The other day I heard Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree and it made me a little homesick for the US. For some reason that song makes me think about being at my grandparent's house in Bedford. Good times.

18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? I'm happy to travel at Christmas if everyone else in the world stays at home. Last year I traveled from flew from Bristol to Dublin, then took the train on to Cork and I was not a happy camper. In fact just the trip to Dublin completely pissed me off and we hadn't even done the stupid long train trip to Cork yet!

19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer's? Only if I sing the song.

20. Angel on the tree top or a star? I had a star on my tree in the US and my parents always had and angel. I'm not fussed either way.

21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? What kind of a question is this!?

22. Most annoying thing about this time of the year? The way people become all crazy and mean at the shops. Hearing about people who give their family explicit lists of the gifts they want and you're not allowed to deviate from the list. I think that's kind of sad.

23. Favorite ornament, theme, or color? It's been so long since I've seen my ornaments that are storage, I can't remember my favorite! I like snowmen, so I have a lot of snowman decorations. I don't really like themes and I'm a fan of the hodge podge tree full of sentimental ornaments. Some of my favorites from childhood are the ceramic ornaments my grandma painted for us, including the ice cream cone with my school picture glued on it. Haha! We also had some pretty glass ornaments with angels on them that always looked nice with the colored lights behind them.

24. Favorite for Christmas Dinner? Ham or pork roast. Turkey is so Thanksgiving.

25. What do you want for Christmas this year? I had to retire the high top sneaker slippers (another stellar Christmas gift!) when they got moldy, so I really really really want new slippers. I remind Wes of this every day. Last night I told him about some fuzzy socks that would be nice and he told me I've asked for too many things related to my warmth. Um, okay. I'll take some ice cold diamonds then! Thanks!


Christmas 2002 at my house in Baltimore

Edited to add: I showed this to Wes and when he read number 6 he asked if I was a lesbian. Nice. Can't a girl love a little DIY!?? Some girls make scrapbooks, I install a Pergo floor and hang ceiling fans! On the plus side, he didn't scoff too much at my diamond statement. Fingers crossed!

6 comments:

  1. I arrived here just surfing.
    Congratulations on Your nice site and best wishes from Italy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your ice cold diamonds! I may steal this for tomorrow's post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who are we kidding?? I'm sure I'll be getting the slippers!

    These memes are made to be stolen! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's wrong, but I just laughed out loud at Wes' question.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've pinched it as well! Great list though - we're more similar than you realise - I love getting presents to assist my warmth!

    ReplyDelete