Pages

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Commuting Chronicles

Public transportation can be a total pain in the ass sometimes, but it's never short on entertainment! I figured this was an easy addition to the blog and should be fairly regular.

I was on a packed DC metro car headed to Union Station to get my train home. I was standing in the aisle and two school girls, probably 10 or 11 years old, were sitting in the seat next to me. The one girl had some really nice braids in her hair and since I was standing above them I was admiring them. I looked away and she started singing. Then I had the feeling she was looking up at me. She stopped singing and told me that she thought my necklace was beautiful. I thanked her and said that actually I was just admiring her braids. I told her how nice they were and I asked if she just have them done for the start of school. She said that she had just had them done last weekend by her aunt. And if I wanted, her aunt could do mine for free! I said she did hers for free because she's her niece. But, she assured me that no, she's a hairdresser and if I told her aunt that I was referred by her then she'd do them for free at her shop. Thinking about my darker roots, I said that I didn't think my hair would look as nice in braids as her hair. That's when she told me that I am a very beautiful woman and that I would look beautiful no matter what I did with my hair. I thanked her and she turned back to her friend and they started singing again. What a nice way to end the day!

5 comments:

  1. That's awesome! What a sweetheart, and a great way to end the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If more people on public transport start telling me I'm beautiful, I might just ride the rails all day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, can you send that little angel my way? What a freaking sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing! I'm so used to snarly teenagers on public transport that I thought this was going to turn into one of *those* stories.

    ReplyDelete