Pages

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Just a few shorties

  • I walked out of my way today to ride the LUAS, only because I bought a return ticket and didn't want to waste the journey.  For the record, a return journey was €3.30, so not exactly breaking the bank. At first I felt lazy for not walking home, but then felt I made up for it by walking in the opposite direction of home just to ride the rest of the way there.
  • The waiter at lunch today overheard our accents and congratulated us on having health care now. None of us had the heart to tell him that we all actually have Irish health care and that we did actually have US health care before that, because, well, he just seemed so darn excited about it. 
  • I'm in a 'Made in America' mood. I almost bought marshmallows (which I have no need for) simply because they were processed in New Orleans. I also rejected a can of A&W Root Beer because it wasn't made in America. It looked the same and there's a good chance it tasted better if it was made with sugar instead of corn syrup, but it went back on the shelf.
  • I helped a little old lady cross the road today. I saw her hovering around the cross walk as I was walking towards her. When I got a little closer she hit the button on the signal, then asked if I'd help her cross. Of course! She grabbed my arm and we headed off at a fair clip. I told her to take her time and no one would go until we were across. She then exclaimed her distaste for Dublin drivers. Hmmm....nice to see she still has her wits about her!
  • Burgers, chips, broccoli salad and brewskis for dinner tonight. The husband has had a stressful couple of days and this is his favorite meal!

7 comments:

  1. Your dinner sounds amazing, and so Spring like. That was a very strange comment by our waiter, but felt the same--didn't want to rain on his parade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just thinking about the LUAS the other day. I was in Dublin with a few friends from college, they were studying there and I was in London. We wanted to ride it so bad, but could never figure out where to get on the dang thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! If you stuck to the city centre the closest place to get it would have been at St Stephen's Green. There are actually two LUAS lines in Dublin (one on the north side of the river and one on the south side) and they don't even connect. Really though, it's not too terribly exciting (especially in comparison to the Tube!) so you didn't miss much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And you helped a little old lady across the street. A lovely movie moment to add to the Friendly Irish Waiter being Nice to Tourists ( even though you're not!) Cute day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Niamh, I think I attract little old ladies. Every time I'm in Dunnes someone will ask me to read the label or date on a package. One day a woman even asked me how to prepare some fish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. if you really want some marshmallows send me your address- for some reason my mom sent me 3 bags and well, how often can you really eat marshmallows?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's the thing...I don't really want them! They were the little kind that I guess if I drank more hot chocolate I might want to put them in it. The only thing I really do with marshmallows is make rice krispie treats. Thanks though!

    ReplyDelete